Thursday, August 18, 2011

Continental Purls and G+ BB KAL


I knit Continental.
If you knit Continental then you know that tension with purl stitches tends to be looser than your knit stitches.  Recently, on G+, there was a discussion of different knitting styles and several versions of the purl stitch came up in connection to the Continental style of knitting.  Norwegian purl (my favorite - can't wait to practice this one!), allows the knitter to keep their yarn in the back of their work for both knit and purl stitches!  Another version of the purl stitch that is quick, but has the working yarn brought to the front.  This version causes the knit stitches on the other side to be twisted, so the return row should be knitted through the back loops to untwist those stitches.

Now on to the KAL!  I'm working on the G+ Bashful Butterflies KAL and my little shawl is coming along nicely!
Ready to Cast On!
I bought Madelinetosh Pashmina in the Rosewood colorway...



Then started knitting it up with  US7/4.5mm needles which is producing a very nice fabric!







Chart A Completed
I will keep you posted as I continue with this KAL, but I've been rather slow with this one since I have such a demanding 3 year old at home...

6 comments:

  1. That *other* version, I believe that called Combination knitting. That would be right up my alley if I didn't have to remember to 'untwist' the stitches on the return row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I had no idea what it was actually called. I plan to swatch and practice both, but am mostly interested in being able to keep my working yarn to the back of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the Norwegian Purl! I'm definitely going to try it. I must be a tight knitter because my yarn is never as loose as it is in the demo videos.

    A friend is also teaching me Portuguese knitting/purling which is a little tricky, but can be pretty fast when you get the hang of it. The last time I checked there weren't any good YouTube videos of this method, but the yarn basically goes around your neck or on a pin on your collar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh Nathan, I've been dying to learn Portuguese knitting! Unfortunately, you're right that youtube doesn't have very good vids for that yet. Maybe you can get your friend to make some?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

    I love the color of this yarn you're using. I haven't knit with any Madeline Tosh yet, but I am a big fan of her yarn. And I will have to check out the G+ KALs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, Yana Weinstein will probably be the one to initiate future G+ KALs.

    ReplyDelete