Friday, January 21, 2011

Nups are EVIL..... but they don't have to be!

I started on my Annis and let me tell you... make sure you don't have a ton of distractions when you do the cast on!  363 stitches!  Wow, anyway once I was all cast on I started up the chart (this shawl is worked from the lacework edge up) and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to follow and memorize.  Then I got to row 9 (the one where you start the nups) and had decided that I don't want to use beads on this yarn so I'll do the nups.  I was intimidated to work the nups as I had read so many frustrated posts from others who have done them.  So I took a deep breath and plunged in..so EASY I couldn't believe it!  Just (K1, YO) 3 times then a K1 all in the same stitch. Then I got to row 10! Purl 7 together!  Did I read that right?!?  Okay, how hard can it be?  OMG!  Needless to say, I threw out a few choice expletives and shoved the whole project in it's bag swearing off ever touching it again!  I couldn't do a single one!  Stomped off to bed to get some sleep and deal with it tomorrow.  Well, I had a dream where I was laughing at myself cause I gave up too soon and that it was really simple to make nups, I was just over-thinking everything.  Just use the tiny crochet hook that I use for beading!


Well, with trepidation I decided to give it a shot this morning and wow!  Big difference!  That tiny hook slid right into the loops of all seven stitches, grabbed the working yarn and pulled it through without any heartache!  So yes, nups are EVIL.....  but they don't have to be!


ETA:  Nope, they are EVIL!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on conquering those nups! The nups have kept me from knitting this. Yes - I am scared of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's why I didn't try making this last year?

    ReplyDelete